By: Walt Krause - Shawnee Muskie Hunters Chapter #28, Illinois and Larry Besant - Daniel Boone Chapter #52, Kentucky.
Buddy Hartman photo of Brett Olson's "Fire in the Eye" Tiger.
- Have the proper tools with you: Long nose pliers, hook cutters and jaw spreaders.
- Bring a large KNOTLESS net to safely land a muskie. They will destroy a salmon net & you will lose or harm the fish. Yes, they can be $$. Yes, they are a must.
- Keep your hooks double sharp.
- Don't try to save money on bargain lines, leaders and snaps.
- Pay attention to what is going on around you.
- Use bright lures on bright days and darker lures on darker days.
- Don't waste too much time choosing and changing lures.
- Learn to do a figure 8 or circle, well.
- Keep your hand away from their mouth.
- Remove the hooks while the muskie is in the net.
- Don't keep the muskie out of the water, any longer than you can hold your breath, under water.
- Fish with as many muskie anglers as you can.